Monday, December 3, 2007

College Football and the BCS

Okay, this may not be a post that would interest all of you, nor will it be one of my more spiritual post. With that said, occasionally, I think it is good to get things off your chest - I call it venting. This vent is in regards to the college football ranking system and championship formula known as the BCS. Now let's get one thing straight - I am a die hard Tennessee Volunteer.
So, I don't have a dog in this fight (as my old high school basketball coach used to say - for an explanation look up a redneck dictionary). Back to my venting. For the life of me, I don't understand why we cannot have a college football playoff. It does not have to be like March Madness College Basketball with 64 teams. Rather, something very easy that could be implemented tomorrow. Here is my plan (I am sure that I am not the original author of this plan, but I will take credit for it). First, make all 6 major conferences have a championship game like the SEC and ACC do currently. To have this conference championship game, you would need at least 12 teams in the conference so that you could split teams up into 2 divisions.

To accomplish this task, move Notre (we are the most over hyped overrated team in the history of college football) Dame and move them to the weakest conference in America - the Big Ten. That would give the Big Ten twelve teams - thus a championship game. The Big East already has enough teams, so they can have a championship game. For the Pac-10, put Hawaii and Boise State in that league to give them 12 teams. Now, all 6 conferences (SEC, ACC, BIG TEN, BIG 12, PAC-10, BIG EAST) have a championship game.

The winners of those games make it into the BCS championship tournament, and the final 2 spots are determined by the BCS ranking of the highest team that did not win their conference championship game. Let the BCS poll seed the teams, and play them beginning January 2 as not to detract from the New Year's Day Bowl games. Let the playoffs be played in the stadiums that house the Sugar, Orange, etc. so that they will not lose their money, and the other 34 teams left out of the BCS tournament can play in the bowl games named after corporate sponsors. There.... I feel better. It will never be done, but I feel better. For now, we have to put up with this craziness of the BCS and hope that it changes soon. In reality - in the grand scheme of this world - it really is no big deal. Enjoy your college football and GO VOLS!

No comments: