Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kids and Christmas - the True Meaning

During this time of year, I become like a big kid. I enjoy everything about Christmas - cookies, presents, shopping, lights, cold weather, cookies, Christmas pageants, the Charlie Brown Christmas special, Santa, cookies, time with family, and Christmas music. Did I mention cookies? My mom for years has made these great cookies (just for me by the way!) with chocolate icing on top - oh my word! I could eat two dozen - and probably do every year. Christmas means different things to different people. For some, it is a joyous occasion while for others it can be a sad time without beloved family or friends who have passed on. It also seems that our culture has become afraid to say this time of year is the "Christmas season". We know call it the "Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan, holiday, festival time of year" (I would like to see you create a song with that title!) But in reality, this time of year should mean one thing for everyone - a time to be thankful and reflect on the birth of Jesus Christ.

As a Christian, I am aware of the importance of Christ's birth, but I far too often don't appreciate and value it the way that I should. As we approach December 25th, I am challenging myself to remember the true reason for this holiday. While I enjoy all that comes with Christmas, I am able to do so because of the birth of Jesus. Our family will take the time this year to teach our children this important lesson. My wife and I have worked to develop certain traditions in our home that emphasize the importance of Christmas. Each year, we all go see a Christmas production that tells the story of Christ birth and then talk about it on the way home. We read the true Christmas story from Luke chapter 2 on Christmas Eve before going to bed. We also take the kids to a Wal-Mart or shopping mall and let them pick out an angel tree gift to buy and give away - because not every child will have presents this year.

I love celebrating this season, especially with my kids. We do it all - as you can tell in the picture above! But the most important thing we do is consistently remind them of that important event that happened about 2,000 years ago in a very small town called Bethlehem. So as you snuggle around the fire with your family on Christmas Eve, take a moment to look out the window at the starry cool evening and remember what Luke told the shepherds on that similar night: "I bring you good news of great joy which shall be for all people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord!"

No comments: