Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rock Chalk Jayhawk


For the last week all I have heard ringing in my head is "Roooooooock, Chaaaaaaalk, Jaaaaaayhaaaaaak, Kayyyyyyyy, UUUUUUUUUUUUU!" (sing it in a mid range voice as if you were in a monestary) If you have never heard the chant of the University of Kansas fans, then you have missed out on one of the unique and colorful things in college sports. Recently, I traveled to Lawrence, Kansas, with some good freinds of mine to watch my beloved Tennessee Volunteers Men's Basketball team take on the defending national champion Kansas Jayhawks.

If you don't know anything about the history of college basketball, then let me fill you in on the significance of Lawrence, Kansas. It is the birth place of basketball - no literally - Dr. James Naismith developed the game of basketabll while at the University of Kansas. He tutored and trained a young man named Phog Allen (why in the world would anyone name their kid PHOG?!).
Coach Allen became a legendary basketball coach at Kansas and one of his players was some guy named Dean Smith. Dean Smith just happens to be one of the all time winningest coaches in basketball while he coached at North Carolina.

Ok, enough of the history lesson! The point is, that this old style basketball arena named after its legendary coach PHOG Allen is one of the most unique sports venues in the country. I truly enjoyed my time at PHOG Allen (I like to put his name in all caps because I think it is a funny name) while listening to the crazy but well mannered Kansas fans not only sing Rock Chalk Jayhawk but scream continously as their Jayhawks defeated my Volunteers 92-85.

Allen Fieldhouse was on my bucket list (see the movie), so it was great to be able to mark that one off. Now, if any of you find it in your heart to take me to Fenway Park for a ball game, or to the Masters Golf Tournament in August, Georgia, or to the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, Kentucky, you won't hurt my feelings and you will be able to help me mark another one off my bucket list.

Roooooock Chaaaaaalk Jaaaaaayhaaaaaakk, Kayyyyyyy.... UUUUUUUUU! Go Vols!

No comments: