Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

There is a little known fact about me that you may not know. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. Now, you may be asking, "Bradley, why in the world do you have a degree in Political Science?" Great question. The answer is fairly simple - I love to study politics and government. Seriously, I absolutely love studying our political system, the protocol of government, the Constitution, and our nation's history. It's why my favorite television show is the West Wing (I have to watch it on my DVR these days).

Most of the time, guys or gals who get a Poly Sci (insider term) Degree do so with the intentions of getting into law school, passing the bar, and becoming a lawyer. Although that prospect intrigued me, that wasn't the path I took. I tell you all of this so that you will understand why I will TiVo 12 hours of Inauguration Day coverage and watch every bit of it. To me, on this day in history, it really doesn't matter who is being sworn in but rather the pomp and circumstance (another insider term) and the whole protocol of the day's events that I enjoy. I love watching the little things like the seal of the President being on Bush's limo when he arrives at the Capital building, but off of the limo when he leaves. Or the fact that Marine One is no longer called Marine One when Presidnet Bush boards the craft. Or watching Obama reach his hand out to shake a military guards hand while the military gaurd is now saluting him as the Commander in Chief. Obama wasn't used to it, and it took him by surprise.

Regardless of who you voted for, or what you believe, Inauguration Day should always be viewed by every American with patriotic pride. On top of all that, this particular day was monumental becuase of the historical significance of Obama's election. On this day, we can lay aside all differences and celebrate our nation. It only happens every four years, so be sure to set your DVR's (or whatever we will call them then) for Inauguration Day 2013. God bless America...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, if it only happens every 4 years, why did it not happen in in 2005? Is it wishful thinking for '13? ;-)

I to love politics, though my chief view of politics is that it is best understood in terms of economics. This makes thw last few years up to present days both fascinating and heart-breaking.