Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Missions - It's Why We're Here!

I used to live in Knoxville, Tennessee. To me, East Tennessee is the true Holy Land. I know when I cross the border every time I go home, I can hear the audible voice tell me to take off my shoes because I am on holy ground. It is especially moving when I can hear the angelic choir sing "Rocky Top". Anyway, that is not the reason for the post. When we lived in Knoxville, we attended a great church on the west side of town called First Baptist Church Concord (Concord was the small community where the church was located). If you are ever in that area, visit that church - it will be worth your time.

One thing that is etched into the DNA of that church is its missions work. The missions pastor at Concord (who happens to be a relative of mine) created the phrase: "Missions: It's Why We're Here!". I guess mission work is on my mind because I am preparing to leave on Thursday morning (25th) to go to Venezuela. Please pray for me and 2 other staff members from First Euless. We will be traveling down to Venezuela to help instruct in a Leadership Development Conference for native pastors. I am looking forward to working with these men.

Jesus gave us the Great Commission of Matthew 28. In it, he tell us to GO. It is an imperative statement. It is not a request, or a plea for us to think about it (or as we Christians like to say "pray about it"). It is a commandment. We are all to go. Now, that may mean go to Denver, or Chicago, or Garland, or Venezuela, or Africa. Discovering that question requires much prayer. But our prayer should only be "where Lord?" and not "do you think I should GO?" I believe that's where many of us fail in fulfilling the Great Commission. What would happen to the world if all who profess to be a Christ-follower were to truly grasp the importance of Matthew 28? What would happen if everyone really believed that true "missions" - telling others about the saving power of Jesus Christ - is "why we're here"? If 12 simple ordinary guys could turn the world upside down because they were just obedient to what Jesus told them to do, what could millions accomplish with the same gumption (East TN greek word)? Who knows. It would be fun to find out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really stinking funny.

Anonymous said...

Hey there man, thank you very much for coming to our land Venezuela. I sincerely hope to hear from you guys soon....

God bless you all!!

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify, I was commenting that the post above about Nascar was funny. Sorry about the confusion.