Monday, July 28, 2008

What in the World is Assimilation?

It's inevitable. The conversation usually goes like this: "Hello Joe, my name is Bradley Thomas." Joe then says, "Hi Bradley, great to meet you. Are you on staff here at First Euless?" Then I respond, "Why, yes Joe, I am!" (I don't really yell it, I just like to put exclamation points in sentences for emphasis!!). "What do you do here, Bradley?" I respond, "I am the assimilation minister." Then it happens. The blank look on the face, followed by the crooked eye brow and the slow response as if air is being slowly leaked out of a balloon: "Noooooowwwwww, (pause for dramatic effect).... what in the world is assimilation?"

It really is a good question. I don't get tired of answering it, because it does give me the opportunity to explain what I do for a living and how this particular ministry is a growing need among churches across the country. I give the response that I will now give you: Assimilation is the process by which we plug new members into the small group setting of the church. My job is to help people from get from the big room with 2500 people to the small room with 25 people. It also involves everything to do with our members & guests Sunday morning "experience". That would include parking lot attendants, shuttle buses, door greeters, ushers, guest services centers, pastor reception, security, and the little elves that put the offering envelopes in the backs of the seats at night. Okay, there are no little elves (although that would be really cool!) but you get the picture.

Over the next few weeks, I am going to dig a little deeper into this Assimilation Ministry thing and show you the overall need for this ministry. We will look at what is involved with the new member process. Why we do what we do, and the importance of getting new members started on the "right" foot. We will also look at some national statistics that show how churches are effectively growing and connecting with their new members through efficient Assimilation tracks. There are some churches who are doing some cutting edge innovative things with Assimilation.

It's an important process in effectively plugging people into your church. Getting from the big room to the small room can be an overwhelming task for many people. My job is to make that transition easy and smooth, but more importantly, help people find the RIGHT place to plug in. I firmly believe that if a new person to a church does not 1.) actively join a small group and 2.) find an area to serve within the church (even if it's just refilling the coffee machine each week) within 6 months of joining a church - they will slowly begin to fade away. When that happens, then we as a church have done a poor job of helping those people belong to the body.

I hope you enjoy these Assimilation blogs over the next few weeks. Please feel free to send any questions you may have. Until next time.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I honestly wondered what your position did when I learned what it was called. I had never heard of a church staff position called that in the past. Having a background in Nursing (with classes in biological sciences and psychology... I studied assimilation and know what the word means, so that makes sense now!