Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ted the Barber

On July 2, my uncle, Ted Watts, did what all of us will do one day if our Lord does not come back. Ted took his last breath and passed into eternity. The good news, excuse me, the GREAT news is that Ted was a believer in Jesus Christ. Right now, my uncle does not labor for breath anymore. He does not struggle to walk. He does not need help getting out of his chair. He is completely whole and walking the streets of heaven.

I knew my uncle mostly from a family perspective. For years, we would have Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve dinner, Easter, birthday parties, etc. at his and my Aunt Sue's house in a small town in East Tennessee called Loudon. Loudon is picture perfect small town America. When you drive through the town, you literally drive back 50 years. It is Mayberry USA - and I mean that as a compliment. Today, I don't know my neighbor's names. I get my hair cut from a different girl every time I go to a "salon". When I drop off my mail (on the rare occassion that I actually mail something), they don't know my name or where I live. My post man drove up to the box the other day, and I went out to say hello. He drove off in a hurry as if I was going to mug him. When I go to get groceries (okay, when my WIFE goes to get groceries and I tag along!), I get them at a Supercenter and one person throws my stuff in a plastic bag while I carry it to my car. When I take my kids to get Ice Cream, I don't know the owner and I am just another customer.

There is something about small town America. In Loudon, you can still go to a grocery store where they bag your groceries and a young man carries them to your car. The post man that delivers your mail, waves at you, and yells across the drive way "How about them Braves?" You can go to the local ice cream shop and the owner knows your name and remember's your kids favorite flavors. In this town, for decades, people didn't go to a "salon" to get a haircut, they went to Ted's Barber Shop. There, Ted the Barber knew your name and your kid's names. He would look at you with a great smile and say "Howdy, come on in... how you been doing? How the kids? Work going okay?" - and you felt at home. The barber shop was a place where you talked about last night's baseball game or the home town football team's big win on Friday night. It was a great place - not because of the hair cut - but because of the atmosphere. Everyone in Loudon knew Ted Watts and loved Ted Watts.

On July 2, Loudon, Tennessee lost a favorite son, but heaven gained a great saint. I miss you Ted. Thank you for many great years of loving us. You set the example of how to live a Christ-centered life. Kick some gold dust for me, eat some dumplings.... we'll see you soon! And for the rest of you, well... let me just tell you, there was no one like Ted the Barber.

No comments: