Thursday, March 20, 2008

Remember the Alamo!

No doubt this is a familiar cry that you have heard before. It was the rallying cry of the Texans as they fought for their independence from Mexico. It served as a reminder of what the brave men did at the Battle of the Alamo in San Antonio. This past week, my family went to San Antonio for Spring Break. Don't get me wrong, we did the fun stuff (I will talk about that in a moment), but we did take time to tour the Alamo and learn a little Texas history.
One of the things that the Thomas family is proud of - being from the GREAT state of Tennessee! After walking through the Alamo and learning a little more about one of our native sons, Davey Crockett, we are even prouder. I will admit, that the Alamo museum workers didn't like it when I gave a stirring rendition of Rocky Top while overlooking Davey Crockett's shot gun.

One of the things that my wife and I are enjoying at this stage in our lives is the age of our kids. Bailey is almost 10 and Brody just turned 8. They are at a great age to travel and do things they have never done before. With that said, this was our first true "Spring Break" trip as a family. Now I am no Clark W. Griswald, but I do try to turn into Super Dad. I must admit, for our first Spring Break trip, this was a great time! After our tour of the Alamo, we stayed overnight in downtown San Antonio and took a boat tour of the Riverwalk (a beautiful place!). We ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, bought some souvenirs, and spent all day Monday at Sea World San Antonio.

Sea World was amazing! I think I went to Sea World when I was very little, but I don't remember it. Elaine had never been, so this really was a "first" for all of us.
From the STEEL EEL (big honkin roller coaster) to Shamu (killer whale) to petting the dolphins, we had a blast. I would highly recommend Sea World and San Antonio as a great vacation spot.

Spring Break 2008 is in the books. It is time for March Madness and for my Tennessee Volunteers to make Davey and all of us proud by getting BACK to San Antonio to the Final Four! Of course, we would hope that the Tennessee Volunteers trip to San Antonio this time would turn out much better.

1 comment:

Robin Schmitt said...

Sounds like a great vacation. Keep making memories with your kids. They will treasure them for many years to come.

Robin Schmitt