Saturday, March 1, 2008

Barack, the devil juice, and Duff

Have you ever had "one of those weeks'? Well, I just had one starting last Tuesday, Feb. 19. I had my first scheduled colonoscopy and endoscopy on Feb. 20th, so on Tuesday I had to drink probably the worst substance known to humanity in prep for the scopes. I call it the "the Devil Juice" but my doctor calls it something else with medical terminology. It was awful and with my quick gag reflex - well, you can imagine. However, if you had told me that would be the easiest thing I would do that week, I would have been a little worried. As it turned out, that was a walk in the park compared to what happened to me on Friday, Feb. 22nd (insert dramatic beat from Law & Order series).

It began on my way home from seminary class (maybe that was the cause). I began having horrible stomach pains and cramps - the kind of pain and cramps where you actually think the alien will pop out at any moment. Eventually, I listened to my wife and went to the emergency room only to find out that I had appendicitis. Ha! I have never had surgery, and until my scopes had never been "put under". But within an hour after being diagnosed, I am being wheeled into an operating room where I have to keep telling everyone my name and birthday (I guess that is to make sure they don't get me confused with the guy who is having his gallbladder removed). Next thing I know I am groggy and really having to go to the bathroom in some dark hospital room with people poking and prodding on me. Funny thing is that this hospital was so busy they had to put me on the floor with the labor and delivery unit! One of our sweet friends, Pam Hill, suggested that I name my newly "removed body part" so that I would not feel left out among all of other "birthing" people in the hall. So, my wife and I proudly named my appendix Obama (we chose not to take it home).

The tough part now is being patient. I am home and resting per doctor's orders. I do feel better at times, so I get up and start doing stuff - then pow - I am tired (funny how your body doesn't like to be operated on). I have been able to catch up on some needed rest, fight off an awful upper respitory cold (still working on that), and watch some of my favorite shows like Ace of Cakes on the Food Network - Duff is the man! Hopefully, with another day of good solid rest and continued meds, I will be back to my routine soon. Thanks to all of you who have prayed, sent emails, cards, food, etc. - you all have blessed our lives! I hope you have a great week - who knows what can happen in seven days!

No comments: