Monday, January 7, 2008

American Gladiators


Oh yes, you know what I am talking about. If you went to high school in the 80's or early 90's, you know all about American Gladiators. The Joust, the Eliminator, the Rings, and much more crammed into one exciting hour of breathtaking television entertainment! Well, it's BACK and bigger than ever. Plus, for us "teens of the 80's", they have added Hulk Hogan as a host - how awesome is that, BROTHER!? (If you are a Hulk Hogan fan, then you understand the "BROTHER" reference). Last night, I watched the premier of American Gladiators on NBC - and I have to admit, it was very good. They have kept most of the old events and added some pretty cool new events. What's wild is the fact that I am sitting in my living room watching this show with MY KIDS! And they love it!

Now don't get me wrong, it is purely for entertainment purposes. There is no educational value (maybe healthy living - but that is a stretch, I know), or nothing that challenges your brain or makes you think. It is purely average American people (who happen to be in really great shape) getting a chance to put on head gear and beat the fool out of muscular models - with the chance to earn money doing it. In the words of boxing promoter Don King, "Only in America!"

It is important to understand that the people who apply and are able to go on this show are in amazing condition. Last night, a Marine lady and kick boxing lady were on the show and they were literally dusting the gladiators. I started thinking, who do I know that could go on this show? Obviously not me! There is a guy in the Bible Fellowship that I used to teach in Tennessee named Jack - he is in the FBI. He is a small guy who stays in great shape - probably knows about 31 ways to kill a man with his hands type of guy - he would be good on this show with his quickness, small but strong size, and his anger management issues.
My current pastor could go on this show - he is 6'5" and about 260 solid (That is him on the left - Hulk Hogan is above - didn't want you to get them mixed up). He could hold his own - and how cool is that - to have a pastor who could go on American Gladiators? That would be classic! I could see it now: "Now that I have beaten Wolverine (Gladiator man's nickname on the show) in the Joust - can I have one conversation with you if I could only have one?"

Ok, I am ranting, Happy New Year to everyone! I hope 2008 is the best yet. God bless...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! But true, John could totally take them, or at least try!
Angie

Anonymous said...

First off, you have way too much time on your hands if you spent 2 hours watching this last night! I'm actually waiting for the new Knight Rider coming out soon to get my 80s fix.

I would offer up our very own Roman soldier, Robert Walker (still in the Army Reserves) to do battle on behalf of First Euless.